Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

No One Climbs Everest Alone - And Lives To Tell About It


That's right.  Oh I am sure there are a few stories of some body who did not need any body - and who set out to scale the toughest mountain ever to climb - alone.  But if you can give me an example of anyone who did so without the help of anyone at all - I will award them the 'super-hero' award - along with all the others who were awarded posthumously for dying to do something alone.


That's right - "dying" - because they were too proud, too independent, too controlling to ask for or accept any help from those who offered or who could help.


Chances are though if you are like me, it is not that we cannot afford to ask for help or delegate - it is just we do not do it.  Plain and simple.  We have never tried it, measured how much money it might save us, or looked at the time we could be spending focusing on what we do best.  In addition, we fail to build that all important support team around us who can support us and assist us by doing things that we are not so good at or that take too much of our attention away from our 'core genius'.

Two weeks ago, I decided as the time management guru - that I would begin to follow some of my own advice. (Imaging that!) I also put my hands on a new technique called the two minute time management solution.  And I made the decision to delegate some of the tasks that were causing me grief.


I booked everything into my calendar including meals, meditations and exercise time, and in addition I tried something new.  I booked everything into four days instead of five.  I booked Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays off.  For me that was a first!  Most who know me would be shocked.  And finally I took a few related tasks that were not getting done but were causing me great stress - and delegated them.


As a result, something very interesting happened.  I began to get everything done on my list and more. More importantly - I got more writing done than I had in the past four weeks together.  ( I love to write)   And when Friday came, I had no guilt about taking a free day off.  I did not worry about phone calls.  I did not worry or even look at emails.  I puttered around the house, doing some much needed cleaning, some baking, had a nap and even listened to a great audio book.


In the end - I actually accomplished more last week than I have for months.  When I focused on what I do well - and delegated other activities to the team - I actually became happier and more productive. And I had a much deserved rest so that I was able to start the week refreshed and full of new ideas and strategies.


When I tried to build the business alone - it was like setting out to scale Mount Everest - without getting the right advice, assistance and support that I needed.  No wonder I was 'dying' and that business was suffering.  My ego had overtaken my common senses and I had insisted that I do it alone.  (Control freak!)


Next time you decide to do it all yourself, remember how many people actually have to support the climber to get to the top of Mount Everest.  There are often 12 people supporting one person to get to the top.  No ones does it alone.  They may die trying - but that seems like a pretty big price to pay just because we were afraid to ask or insisted we could not afford to have someone else do it for us.


If you are looking for administrative support, coaching or marketing support for your business - be sure to check out the trusted services available here: http://www.roaringwomen.com/business_services.php

No comments: