Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Knock, knock. Hellooooo! Is anybody home?

We all live very busy lives - and most of us agree - it is often too busy!  And so it is very common to call someone at home or work and get an answering machine.

...." Press 1 .... Press 2...to access the company directory, Press 3...to leave a number you can be reached at ..enter it now.." 

In fact in this high tech world - we even have our emails send direct messages letting others know we received their email - and we will answer it within the next 48 hours.
But how often have we received a message in person and given out a recorded answer?  How often are we focused on what has happened - or  are worrying about what is going to happen - or even thinking about what is happening somewhere else instead of just being in the "present moment"

I know I lived my life mentally planning for 10 minutes, 15 minutes and maybe even 2 days later while still 'functioning' at a local level.  The result?
Missed conversations - "did I really say that?"  Mis-communications - "did you really say that?"  Missed opportunities - "I didn't see that!"  
I was not living in the 'present'.  You could say that I was 'not all there'! (no one was home)

But the most unfortunate thing that happens when we live somewhere outside the moment is that we cannot offer the world our gifts and talents.  They stay buried beneath the worries and thoughts of yesterday and tomorrow.

Each one of us plays a significant part in the expansion and growth of the world and in other people's lives.
  We are all connected in thought and in energy - and when one of us is not 'present' in the moment - the chain of energy and information is muffled or in some cases broken.


Secondly - when we are not present - we are not connected to 'spirit' or a greater spirit which guides us.  We are not 'inspired'. (being in spirit) Inspiration can bring us great ideas, lead us down paths we may not have traveled and prompt us to interact with others for special purposes.

So when we are not living in the present moment - we miss those great opportunities to bless others and be blessed by others.  I learned a difficult lesson from one of my children whom I always thought I had been  'there' for.  She said to me "Mom you were there in body, but you were always busy doing other stuff - and it was hard to get your attention".  The other stuff I was doing was 'thinking' - about past or future - but I was not in the moment.



How do we 'stay present?'
Staying present takes a little practice - but it really isn't that hard to do.  Every morning I now take 20 minutes to meditate - and remain in the present - before I create my day.  For many 'meditation' seems like a 'woo-woo' thing to do - or it may seem quite daunting.  I know I was afraid of it - because I did not understand it.
If you don't meditate - take five minutes several times a day - and reground yourself.  Breathe deeply.  Listen to your breath going in and out of your chest.  Smell your surroundings.  Touch the table or chair you are sitting on and focus on how it feels.  Scan your body - and feel the energy that flows through each toe, each finger, your arms and legs - and listen careful and you will hear you heart beat.  Doing this will bring you back to the here and now.
Now take a look at the miracle that we call life.  When you are grounded and living in the present - chances are that when anyone calls your name - they are likely to get YOU and not your 'internal answering machine'!

No yesterdays are ever wasted for those who give themselves to today.  ~Brendan Francis

No comments: