Search This Blog

Thursday, September 08, 2011

Permissions - are you a super-user?

I have spent the last 2 years building web sites that allowed more than one person to edit it - when it was finally posted.  In the web world - it is often called 'permissions' or users.  For someone to be able to access all the levels of editing - they are often called a super user - and they have unlimited permission to edit pages within the site.

And so I talk about 'permissions' and 'allowing' - all the time.

When I think of the word permission - I think of it in a negative fashion.  We have 'permission slips' to allow us out of a class at school.  If you did not bring your 'permission slip' - you could not participate in an event.  

Rarely do I think of life as a 'carte blanche' scenario; we generally need permission or are denied permission for many activities in the world.  In fact depending on your level within a company or even society - we are granted permission according to our positions - and access to privileges or information is granted accordingly.

Permission.

Today I was meeting with my VP of operations with Roaring Women (Fiona Prince).  It was a 'working meeting' and at one point we got to the topic of calendars and time off.  As we were sharing our calendars - we were also sharing stories of what was going on for us in our lives with our families.  

After Fiona saw my calendar she strongly suggested that because what was going on for me right now - that I book 2 hours for lunch - and work my work around my life and family.  She continued that if I wanted to work in those times - because nothing demanded my attention - I could do so.

Fiona explained about a principle in her faith that she determined to be very important.

"Shalom HaBa'eet means peace in the house. It is one of the foundations of Judaism. Shalom HaBa'eet allows us to be who we need to be in the world. Take the time you need for peace in your house and schedule your work around it. Work will always be there."

One of the foundations of her world includes this principle.  By telling me this - she gave me permission to take care of the things in my household. 

As a business owner I have been very guilty of taking care of the problems or things that need to be done that are making the most noise - in my head or in events.  Unfortunately - the people we love do not often shout or make a lot of noise about their needs - until it is too late.  

However, according to the principle of "Shalom HaBa'eet", it is peace in the family that is most important and we should build our lives around a peaceful household.  Fiona's suggestion that I book 2 hours for lunch - considering the needs of my household right now - gave me permission to work different hours than perhaps the regular workforce might set.

I joking thanked her for giving me permission to take more time off.  But then I realized that I did not need her permission - I needed to grant myself permission to attend to my family before the needs of my business.

In my experience - many faiths have very wise principles on how we should be living our lives.  In this case - I cannot explain how grateful I was to whomever recorded that wisdom as a commandment or principle to live by.  

Implementing this principle however was much easier than I thought.

Sitting with my calendar - I began to plot in EVERYTHING that my family and I needed - to maintain peace in the household.  After this was done, I scheduled in all the work items.  This was in fact putting the principle into action exactly how it was intended.  And so I began to build my work around my life - something I thought I had done years ago.

What I had done was raised my level of permission on my life.  I had elevated myself to become a 'super-user' in my life instead of being a simple administrator of my calendar.  As a super user - I had permission at the highest level to organize or build my life as I knew was best.

In reality - I gave myself permission - to live first and work secondly!

Now - I can breathe - and so can my family.  They now see that living is so much more important than any loud or squeaky wheels in my business life!

2 comments:

sybil levine said...

Lovely article Mandie. Speaks to many of us.

Sybil Levine

Sybil Levine said...

Lovely article, Mandie. Speaks to many of us.

Sybil levine