Search This Blog

Saturday, June 17, 2006

No Service - Full Service

Just when I thought customer service mattered at one of the places I shop I realized I had been duped! After all if a company has a good customer service policy you would think that at least at that location that all areas would practice the same stratgegy. I have touted the benefits of 'being somebody' at my local grocery store. Part of an established chain, this store has concentrated on customer service - and I have sang their praises as a result. I go in for bread- the baker knows the yeast free bread I am looking for- calls me by name and slices it without being asked. She mentions new products in the bakery and asks if I know anyone looking for part time work. I feel at home. At the checkout, I am reminded every time I leave that I can save 7 cents a litre on my gas if I use their gas bar. I have never until yesterday checked out the gas bar - but I was in a bit of a rush asnd needed gas - so I stopped at the full service bay of the gas bar. And waited. Looked. Waited some more. Got out and wandered around and saw one employee identified by a shirt with the store logo - smoking a cigarette nearby chatting with a young woman. They continued to chat and it appeared that they were enjoying their conversation. I got back in my vehicle and went to the we serve pumps where I had to go in and pre-pay for my gas. When I went in I asked if the 'we serve' was closed. The man behind the counter mumbled "No". When I explained that I had been waitng for gas he said he knew. So I further enquired why no one had served me he replied, "The attendant is on break" and nodded at the employee I had seen earlier. Frustrated I asked if the 'we serve' pumps were closed then. He repleid that no, they were open, but no one was on duty. When I suggested that perhaps he place a sign on the pumps saying closed temporarily, he replied - "we don't have a sign" As I left after paying for my gas, I noticed 3 vehicles parked in the 'we serve' area waiting for gas and the employee some 20 feet away still chatting and laughing with his friend - in full view of the patrons. All three finally left without purchasing gas. Hmm- I wonder hoew that affects the store's bottom line? It certainly left me wondering if I would ever return to buy gas there again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I bet the boss doesn't know that they weren't working. It might be worth checking out who the manager is and just letting them know that their employees are not really working. If I was the manager, I would want to know that the people I hired were not doing their job.