Search This Blog

Monday, May 10, 2010

Going where only the brave dare to go.. an “Avatar” moment.

Not many people are brave enough to face the truth about things – or to tell the full truth for that matter.  Our legislated political correctness – which really just replaces the common decency and respect we used to have for each other, has only encouraged us to avoid the truth of many things. But the world is changing.

I was pleasantly surprised today by a lady who understood the value of truth and stepped up to the plate.  It was truly an 'Avatar' moment. (Avatar after the movie - I recommend everyone see it.)

Let me explain…

I am assisting my husband in running of Wapiti Campground in Canmore this summer. I have taken on the job of reservations – and so to make things more organized - have set up a website to take reservations online.

On Friday I received a phone call from a lady to reserve a camping site. I gave her the link to sign up at and she told me that she did not have internet (despite having an email address) and that there was no one who could help her out. I obliged and signed her up online using my internet connection.

The next day I assisted her friend who also wanted a site next to her. When I called back to confirm the reservation – the second lady said she was canceling the reservation. She also advised me the first lady would be canceling as well. I called the first lady and she said yes she was canceling and felt that I had taken advantage of her by charging a reservation fee. (this is a standard practice at all provincial campgrounds). I replied that I was sorry she felt that way – and canceled her reservation.

I was upset by her accusations of trying to take advantage of her – but then thought – oh well – this opened the door for a better reservation.

This morning she called back. As soon as she said her name – I cringed. I had been upset with her – and although I had been polite I had also been abrupt.

She went on to apologize for her accusations and thanked me for my time. She also asked if she could PLEASE pay the reservation fee although she had canceled the reservation. She acknowledged that she had taken my time – and said I should receive some compensation for it.

Of course I refused – thanked her for calling with the apology – told her it was a brave thing to do and she should be commended for it - and finished the call. It took several minutes for me to pick my jaw up off of the floor. Wow. 

Here’s the truth. It was brave of her to call me back and apologize. It was also considerate. But mostly it brought the energy of our worlds back into balance. In that moment we truly connected as human beings – who really do care about each other. (It was an “Avatar” moment) 

I felt better – she felt better – and the ripple begins.

What ripples will you send out today?

Did you know I am available for success coaching?  (for all areas of your life)

No comments: