Search This Blog

Friday, June 05, 2009

Do Blogs work? Update on DELL

I have always wondered - do BLOGs really work. I mean how many of us have time to read everyone elses opinions or rants? Secondly, how many companies really pay any attention to one person's blogplaint? Well here is an update. After posting the blog last Monday about the problems with the DELL return policy or shall I call it their inability to admit that there may be a problem with a product - I received several calls from a DELL manager. It had taken me two separate calls to get my complaint escalated to the 'next manager' level. But to their credit, the next-level-up manager called me several times before he could actually reach me. (yes it was a busy week) After a brief conversation with the 'next-level-up' manager, I explained my concern that after over 130 complaints on their site alone, they had not looked further into the complaints about the cord and adapter failing one, two and three times within three years. He explained to me that for the number of computers like mine that they have sold - 130 complaints was not enough to generate a complaint. (Maybe that explains why I am having trouble building a business as profitable as DELL. I try to take seriously a complaint I get more than once) My counter of course was that many people give up before they even write a complaint. Complaining is negative, takes time, drags you down and is often argumentative. Not quite the recipe for a good start or end to a day. At the end of the conversation I received two promises.
  1. DELL was sending a new power cord and adapter despite the fact that computer was no longer under warranty.
  2. DELL would send a package for the return of my cord that no longer worked and investigate the problem. They would give it a case number and report back to me their findings.
I am glad that DELL is looking into the problem. I wish it had not taken the effort it did. I know we have to choose our battles - and really it seemed that this was a small thing to get upset over. But I had sung the praises of DELL for too long to let this one go. So Monday will tell all. And I will keep everyone updated.

No comments: